In the first in a series of historic subdivisions in the Portland area, we’ll introduce the Sylvan Sites in South Portland. This neighborhood of 37 homes on Richards, Adelbert, Clifford, and Sawyer streets was designed by Frederick Wheeler Hinckley, a politician and developer. In 1909 he bought about twenty acres of land in South Portland, and after building his own home, he bought 100 adjacent acres in 1919 and started developing Sylvan Site in 1921.
The neighborhood is a wonderful sampler of Spanish, Colonial, Tudor, Italianate, and Arts and Crafts style architecture. The name “Sylvan” refers to a wooded landscape – today the streets are shaded by Norway maples.
For more information on this historic neighborhood, read “Designing the Maine Landscape” by Theresa Mattor & Lucie Teegarden (Down East Books, 2009).